Mexicans Abroad – Mexican Independence weekend in Berlin
Spice up your weekend with a special Mexican program
The 16th of September Mexico celebrates its 202 aniversary of Independence , in Mexico city people gather every year at the main square ( el Zocalo) on the evenning of the 15th of September waiting for the President to personifies the night when Mexico took up arms against the Spanish monarchy ; is the most celebrated day of the Mexican calendar but it’s not just about one day of the year during the whole month many celebrations are being hosted all around Mexico ;over 10 thousend kilometers away from Mexico In Berlin offers also some cultural and leisure activities to take part on the celebration , here are our favourites for the weekend we hope you enjoy being part of this Mexican fever :
- Asterisms by Gabriel Orozco in the Deutsche Guggenheim –Gabriel Orozco is a Mexican artist, who in 1998 was called “one of the most influential artists of this decade, and probably the next one too.” His work is more known for create associations between between oft-ignored objects in today’s world . Asterisms comissioned work is an installation composed by sculptures and photographs of objects that the artist has gathered from a park in New York and an national preserve beach in Baja California ; the objects are arranged by shape or color resemblance , the artist have said that this work may have an influence on his perception with the Universe and how do objects travel along it .
Daily 10 a.m. to 8 p.m.
10 Euros adults 7 reduce ticket
- Preview Berlin art fair in Berlin’s former Tempelhof Airport
-From 13 to 16 September, 57 international galleries, 11 project spaces and 8 art academies from 14 countries will take part in the PREVIEW BERLIN ; “Terreno Baldìo ” will be representing Mexico with artwork from Javier Marín, Emilio Rangel and Héctor Velázquez; the artist are internationally well known ; the Fair is part of the Berlin Art Week program and it will host many other artworks
- Mais Fest 15. September in the Vierfelderhof Gatow from 10:30 till 18 Uhr
The first Berlin Mais Fest (corn festival ) will host a vas number of fun activities for all the family with the influence of corn in the latin american culture as main subject of the celebration ; it will star with an Aztec Ceremnoy at 11:00 follow by culinary events and folkloric dance groups from diferent parts of Latin America ; a Piñata workshop for the young ones will be organised as well , live Latin bands and Dj will close the event ; the event is free and very interesting .
Travelling : Vierfelderhof, Gatow, Spandau-Berlin Straße 264. With the Bus X 34 from Zoologischer Garten or the 134 from Rathaus Spandau till : Alt Gatow Bus stop.
- Viva Mexico : all you can eat at ” La Tortilla Atomica ” 14 th of September
Becuse not all is about arts and crafts , Mexican food and party is also a good exponent of the celebration and if you have a big apetize the guys from La Tortilla Atomica , a Mexican Restaurtant in Friederichein which star as a Mexican food delivery a couple of years ago , have you cover ; for only 28 euros you can enjoy as many Mexican food as you can handle .The event will set on at 8:30 pm and the night will carry on with a big Mexican party , Mexican drinks and music wiil make this “fiesta” quite a fun and colourful night . Tortilla Atomica – Karl Marx-Alle 93 1o243 Berlin , U bahnhoff Weberwiese U5
- Levantamuertos Post-Grito at Ta’cabron 16 of September- Mexican Brunch
“Levanta Muertos its a very Mexican Concept that consist in take some Tasty food as remedy for hungovers , the guys of Ta’cabron bring us a special menü just for this special and very patriotic ocation ; live music and a Mexican clown are set to be part of the program as well .The Brunch starts at 10 am. and it’s think to get very busy so reserve if posible . Ta´Cabrón F´hain Wühlischstr 12
On the evening of the 15th of September we’d recomend you to head to any Mexican bar or restaurant that you know they are being run by Original Mexicans , it is their busiest day of their calendar so if you know a way to book a place or a table do it in advance or just get there eraly , here we will let you some Restaurants that we know of , Viva Mexico ! :
- La Tortilla Atomica – Karl Marx-Alle 93 1o243 Berlin , U bahnhoff Weberwiese U5 , 01788867180 http://www.facebook.com/laTortillaAtomica?ref=ts
- Maria Bonita – Danziger Straße 33 10435 Berlin , U bahnhoff Eberwalder Str. U2 , http://mariabonitaberlin.com/
- Tacabron –Ta’ Cabrón X-berg Skalitzerstr 60 Öffnungszeiten: Mo. bis Do. & So., 13:00 bis 23:00 Uhr Fr. & Sa., 13:00 bis 24:00 Uhr Ta´Cabrón F´hain Wühlischstr 12 Öffnungszeiten: Mo. bis Do. & So., 12:00 bis 23:00 Uhr Fr. & Sa., 12:00 bis 24:00 Uhr Bar 12:00 bis Open end
As extra tip you might like to go on Saturday night around midnight to the “Segezaule” , as wierd as this might seem to you this very triumphing German monument makes a resemblance to one of the most beloved monuments in Mexico city “El Angel de la Independencia ” people gather around the angel for any Mexican celebration and the Mexicans that live here took this tradition to the German monument .